I recently posted about someone’s tips for how not motivate geeks in the workplace.
Briefly, they are:
- Geeks are curious. Let them feed their desire to learn things.
- Geeks like to be self-sustaining. Let them figure things out on their own.
- Geeks are creative even if they don’t know it. Give them a chance.
- Geeks need tools, good ones. Give them more than they need.
- Private, yet collaborative. Geeks need to be left alone, but not too alone.
- Free stuff. T-shirts, food, desktop widgets, whatever.
- Geeks need recognition
As I was reading this article, I was struck by how the jobs I’ve loved in the past did much of this, while those that I couldn’t stand did not. (The current day job does a few of these pretty well. Others…not so much.)
How about your job? What do they do to feed and/or starve your geek?